Great Places to Buy Eco-Friendly Shoes Online
The term “Eco-Friendly” can mean different things to different people. When it comes to eco-friendly shoes it could mean that:
- The shoes are made from sustainable natural materials that can easily be recycled or biodegraded.
- The shoes are made from recycled materials.
- They’re made of vegan materials.
- The shoes are Fair Trade and/or ethically produced.
- The energy used to make the shoes came from renewable resources like wind or solar.
Or it could mean any combination of the above.
Well, regardless of your exact definition, here are some great online shoe stores to start your search for eco-friendly shoes.
SimpleShoes.com – Simple shoes started in 1991 as a response to all the “Over-hyped, over-marketed, and over-teched sneakers out there.” Over the years the shoes became greener and greener and now are made from materials like organic cotton, hemp, recycled tires and inner tubes. They also have a nice selection of vegan shoes.
Even the packaging is eco-friendly. The shoebox is made of post-consumer recycled paper, soy based printing ink, natural latex and starch based cements. And they don’t waste materials on marketing tags hanging off the shoes.
The nice thing about Simple shoes is that you’re not compromising style for environmental stewardship. Simple shoes are available for Men, Women, and Kids in really nice styles from sandals to sneakers to casual styles.
Simple shoes offers Free Returns and Exchanges when you buy through their site. They also provide a Store Locator to find stores near you where Simple shoes are sold.
You can also buy Simple Shoes from PlanetShoes.com. They offer free shipping so you might save a few bucks and they sometimes have older styles that are not available on the SimpleShoes.com site.
You can also find Simple Shoes at Amazon.com where you usually get free shipping as well.
PlanetShoes.com is an online shoe store that carries a number of eco-friendly shoe brands. They sell traditional shoe brands as well but luckily they have a specific section of their site devoted to just eco-friendly brands so there’s no confusion.
Planet Shoes carries brands like Simple Shoes, Sanuk, Keen, Birkenstock and many more.
Planet Shoes’ eco-friendly policies:
- 1% For The Planet – As a member of 1% For The Planet PlanetShoes donates 1% of all sales of it’s own Planet Shoes brand to environmental organizations. Sadly their house brand is not considered eco-friendly. Hmph.
- CarbonFund.org – As a member of CarbonFund.org Planet Shoes is committed to offsetting carbon emissions associated with shipping it’s products. It offers a service called “Carbon Free Plus Shipping” which allows you to pay a small fee which is then sent to Carbon Fund to offset your specific shipping footprint by making a contribution towards projects that support carbon reduction and the production of renewable energy.
Planet Shoes offers free shipping on purchases over $49 and free returns. If you choose to use their Carbon Free Plus Shipping the fee ranges from between $1.01 and $1.75 per shipment.
Eco-Friendly Shoes from PlanetShoes.com
OnlineShoes.com is an online shoe store that also carries a number of eco-friendly shoes in a dedicated section. Oddly they hide the link to their eco-friendly section at the bottom of their home page.
When you click on their Eco-Friendly Shoes link you’re taken to dedicated page that lets you choose Men’s or Women’s shoes by Size, Style or eco-friendly type.
OnlineShoes.com allows you to see just the shoes that fit into one of four specific categories or you can view them all at once. The categories are:
- Hemp and Natural Fiber Shoes
- Recycled Materials Shoes
- Renewable Energy Shoes
- Vegan Shoes
This is great if you’re looking for only certain types of eco-friendly shoes and don’t want to have to read every description to be sure the shoes meet your criteria. They have a large number of shoes and brands in each category to choose from.
Buy Eco-Friendly Shoes From OnlineShoes.com
So these are some of our favorite online shoes stores that sell eco-friendly shoes. If you have another online store you like to buy eco-friendly shoes from please leave a comment and let us know.